Saturday, June 15, 2013

Make a Photo Prop Pop With Eye Appeal

Getting into the prop way of thinking has been interesting and entertaining and I've learned that when making a photo prop that is "upcycled", it seems to be more likely to catch a photographers eye IF it's a touch shabby and not too neat or tidy or doesn't look like doll clothes suitable for an American or Cabbage Patch doll. For someone like me this is delicate balance between finishing too much, and having that just right balance between a store bought look, and a hand crafted style. 

I've been sewing for 35 years and in my history of the needle to cloth I have made everything from my own clothing as a teenager to home decor for my home, and hundreds of dolls dresses and clothing for dolls. 
This outfit in the pic below was finished to look like doll clothes. It was "too tidy" and in a word "commercial" or store bought  doll clothes. It didn't sell in my shop for the obvious reason: Photographers are not looking for doll clothes to model on newborns. I knew this when I made it but just couldn't see the outfit any other way than with a too tidy store bought look 

 
This morning I did a re-make on the same outfit removing the tidy elastic waist and adding a stitched zig zag to the edge to prevent raveling. I added belt loops made from the hem of the shirt I upcycled, and added a braided fabric belt also from the same fabric with a colored shoe lace as the third string of the braid. I also took off the yellow ribbon tassel as that was overkill of the doll clothes look, and took a better photo using the warm tones of the hardwood floor as a backdrop. This change balanced the pic with a warm backdrop to the cool grey of the outfit....Eye appeal was created so easily!  

This is the re-make of the outfit.......I changed the pic in my shop and within minutes it SOLD! 

This was a lesson in "blah" versus "awww!"

No comments:

Post a Comment